31 May 2010

Happy Memorial Day!

I had an epiphany on Saturday ---- well, it was more like a distraction actually ------ but it worked.  Let me explain.  Memorial Day weekend involves a new tradition with my paddling group, the Otters.  Last year we travelled to the northern coast of California to do some kayaking and to take in the Kinetic Sculpture Race.  It was a fantastic trip and one we all looked forward to repeating this year.  Several reasons left me in the position of not being able to go this year.  Major disappointment.  But, circumstances are what they are and life goes on.   This brings me back to the epiphany, --- er --- distraction.  I made an executive decision to move my craft studio from the spare bedroom out to my sun porch. This is no small undertaking and involved moving several pieces of heavy furniture, the heaviest being an entertainment unit that I use to house plastic drawers to hold various supplies.  Said unit is made of that extremely heavy press board stuff.  I am proud to say that I got it moved, all by my lonesome, with the use of a cardboard box I broke apart to put under the thing so it would slide across bare floor and carpet. That little trick works great and if you have something really heavy to move; please try it. The hardest part was getting it up the small step from the spare bedroom into the kitchen, then down a step from kitchen to sun room.  I only smashed two fingers in the process, so I count this a success. I wasn't about to wait for someone to stop by and help me, but I know you will if you have something heavy and bulky to move.  I also utilized a hand truck to move the bins and boxes of "stuff" rather than packing armfuls of it on an endless trek from spare bedroom to sun room.
I worked the entire afternoon moving furniture and storage bins full of tools and supplies to their new home.  Once I got all the furniture moved I arranged it to my liking and turned to those tools and supplies. I almost swooned.  Holy cats, I have a lot of stuff!!! This process will definitely take more than a day or so, and there are several things I want to accomplish along the way such as an inventory of supplies and tools, especially the ones I do not use on a regular basis.  It is so easy to forget one has something if it is out of sight.

So my new area is in some semblence of order and organized enough so that I can sit down and make a card if the mood strikes. My new studio has a fabulous view of my back yard to the west and my vegetable garden to the north and has a bit more room than my former spot-in-the-corner.  AND it is bright and cheerful.  Heaven!  Heck, even on a cloudy day enough light enters to make it a nice place to be.  I'm trying not to think about winter and how cold it may be out there, but I will work on that problem when the time comes.  In the meantime I am going to enjoy the light and warmth.

So now I have my spare bedroom back and that, too, will need to be organized.  But that's another day.  I may keep it as a storage area or turn it into an actual spare bedroom.  Hey ------ I might decide to rent it out.  Now there's a thought . . . .  anywhoooooo, that's it for today.  My poor mashed fingers are begging for some relief from typing.  Thanks for stopping by.  I hope your weekend was one filled with fun and family and thankfulness for our servicemen and women. Happy Memorial Day!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like a great idea! The light and view alone make it worth the move! Now you'll have all kinds of new inspirations when card making and scrapbooking! Plus just think of all the "new" tools and stuff you've found! Happy Scrappin!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some blog love! I appreciate your comments very much.