14 May 2010

Charlie Update

Hi!  As you know, I normally do not post on Two Dogs more than once a week, however, I just had to share Charlie's progress.  For those of you who do not know Charlie's story I will tell you that he is an old wire hair fox terrier that had been abused for who knows how long, and then left in someone's backyard to die when his "people" moved.  I am the one who was blessed with caring for this sweetheart for whatever time he may have left through our local pet rescue SNIPPP (Spay & Neuter Intermountain Pets & Pet Placement).  He has been with me since the end of January, passed his vet check although he had no muscle tone and almost no meat on his bones.  He is hard of hearing and partially blind in the ear and eye on the same side of his head.  No need to speculate on that; I have done plenty of that and it helps nothing and only serves to make me mad.  Charlie was very sensitive, did not like riding in the car, very unsure of himself, and skulked away in fear if he heard a raised voice, and cowered when I raised my hand to pet him.  He has come a long way with patience and a lot of love.  He goes to work with me and Toonie Mae Hound Princess Dog of Burney most every day, takes nice little walks, and tolerates the car, but just barely.  In the 3 1/2 months I have had this marvelous guy he has slowly become accustomed to my household and has settled in.  Yes, there are still issues that we continue to work on, but yesterday I noticed for the first time that he has definitely bonded with me.  I had to go to work.  Charlie was sleeping peacefully on the back deck.  He is not a fan of the smell of acrylic nails being worked on and he never minded staying home.  Preferred it actually. Until yesterday.  I hooked Toonie Mae up to her leash and we went out the front door and were across the street and headed to the salon when I happened to look back to see Charlie looking towards us and making it obvious that he did NOT want to be excluded.  We went back and hooked him up to his leash and off to work we went.  He was thrilled to be at the salon and scootched himself all over the rug in happy abandon.  This scootching consists of head on the floor, butt in the air pushing himself around in circles.  He was a happy boy and so was I.
I have been in and out running errands and going back and forth to the salon yesterday and today and since yesterday he will not let me out of his sight.  I am so happy that he finally feels safe and secure and knows that he will always be loved here.  Some would say he is acting insecure, but I know this is not the case. I think that he knows now when we go for a walk, or a ride, that he will be coming back here where he is safe and loved.  He knows nothing but love and patience here and now feels secure enough to become a pest about going with the Tooners and me.  I thank the Lord every day for this wonderful fellow.  He is a blessing beyond measure and I just had to show you this picture of him lounging on the back deck, surveying his domain.    Thank you so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Great update on Charlie and what a cute picture. Looks like he's always been there!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some blog love! I appreciate your comments very much.